Application Process for Field Guides
The Application Process
All prospective Field Guides attend a seven-day paid orientation period in the field. The orientation is an opportunity to experience first-hand how our program works and enjoy a week in the amazing wilderness. During the orientation you will learn about our program philosophies from your trainers who are highly experienced Field Guides. They will teach you how our philosophies apply in the field, and role-play situations. We ask that you are open to leaving your comfort zone and trying new things. The orientation is designed to be an experiential learning process. We work with you to determine if the position is right for you. Participating in the orientation does not guarantee you a job. However, if you have been selected to participate in the orientation you have already met some of the requirements and Evoke has high hopes for you to be hired. At the end of the orientation you will be notified of your employment status.
- Must be able to clear State and Federal background check.
- Minimum of 21 years of age for full-time positions, 19 years of age for summer seasonal for Entrada.
- First Aid and C.P.R. certification is required. Wilderness First Responder, EMT or WEMT certification is preferred.
- A high school diploma or the equivalent is required. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field or an equivalent amount of relevant experience is preferred.
- You must be comfortable in the wilderness. Professional wilderness experience is preferred. It is not necessary to have therapeutic training as we do in-company training.
- If concerned about acquiring items like backpacks or sleeping bags before attending an orientation, please inform the recruiters, as we have some of these items on-hand to borrow during that period of time.
To apply please complete the online application for Evoke at Entrada. Email or Fax a resume, the names and contact information of three references OR three letters of recommendation, and a copy of your CPR/First Aid certification to the recruiter of the location you are interested in. Once you have submitted the required paperwork, a recruiter will contact you to set up a phone interview. If you meet the qualifications, you will be invited to attend a seven-day in field orientation.
What previous orientation participants have to say about the experience:
“I liked that we were in the wilderness learning about the program instead of in a classroom setting…It really helped me see what it is really like.”
“I learned that the wilderness is one of the most powerful tools for therapy. The wilderness has so much to offer to the clients and students.”
“I learned a lot about the therapy process. I think I’ve learned a ton about effective and ineffective communication.”
“I learned that I have a lot of growing to do as a person and that there is no other place I’d rather do it than here where support and opportunities for self-discovery seem abundant.”
“I liked the fact that you (the trainers) were open with us as trainees and promoted interaction and feedback instead of just telling us how it should be and leave it at that.”
Contact one of our recruiters for more information or additional questions:
Evoke at Entrada:
Brennan Dougherty, Assistant Field Director, Recruiter